Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Final Countdown!

The last week has been a bit of a roller coaster.  After getting the news that they would move up the C-section we had a scheduled NST on Friday.  Then that morning a couple fire alarms kept going off, which even when you are sure there's not a fire is a little scary.  So my DH stayed home to make sure nothing burned down. 

The NST was different from the one I had at 27 weeks, that one they brought in an ultrasound machine and made sure each baby's heart was properly identified.  This time the nurse just tried to find each with the little paddles, and then was unsuccessful with finding C, who was the whole reason we were there!  I tried not to be too worried, and truthfully I wasn't, although I did do some deep breathing.  Babies A & B were great on the NST, but since she couldn't find C we were referred to an ultrasound. 

Of course, then my DH decides he should probably be with me since there might be a problem.  The alarms had stopped going off (it was probably a dust build up, we don't use canned air on them yearly like you are 'supposed' to) and he drove down to meet me.  I still made it through the ultrasound before he arrived and everything was fine, baby C passed a BPP within 10 minutes (she had 30) and the tech was surprised how easy it was to get her pictures.

It took another little bit, but we got released and the weekend went wonderfully, I spent most of it on the couch.  Our next appointment was a BPP check on Wednesday, where Baby B had a heart rate of 190 a few different times, we did not get a lower rate on her.  Though my ultrasounds are completed very quickly, each baby has 30 minutes to pass and the techs usually only take about 30 minutes total.  The MFM sent us over to the hospital for some NST monitoring.  Obviously I know that low heart rates are a sign of distress, and I learned that a high heart rate can be an initial sign of infection. 

Oh and this was my first (and only) time with this ultrasound tech, I'm not sure if there is a way to do the heartbeat wrong, but I wonder if she wasn't doing it right.  She also annoyed both my DH and me by insisting on getting facial pictures of the babies. 'Oh look, how cute!' 'Can't you see the face!' (my DH wasn't looking up).  Now we are a perfect couple because we can both be rather unsentimental, but honestly 1) I think babies in utero look a little creepy and 2)we're meeting them in a week!

This was my also first meeting with this particular MFM.  She said she was sure I was dilated and had lost my mucus plug even though I didn't notice it.  While I liked her, I am not sure I agree I've lost my plug because I am obsessive about checking the toilet.  Old infertility habits die hard!  I suppose there is a chance where it could've slipped out, but I'd be massively surprised.  And I've only had a few 'real' contractions, so I am not sure my body is really 'there'. 

Once we got to the hospital the NST monitoring started, this nurse was able to get baby C on the monitor!  It was reassuring to have all 3 monitored.  And Baby B, upon being hooked up, had a heart rate of 140-168, no sign of 190.  The only bad thing was they kept me on the monitors for a long time.  It was so long that all the babies had been off their monitors, by rolling and kicking like little ninjas, for a half hour before the nurse came back.  I'm laying at a slight angle and am having horrible back cramps from staying in one place.  When the nurse finally came back she said she wanted to get the babies back on the monitors for a last check and then she'd adjust me.  She got the babies back and left the room, the babies promptly ninja-ed themselves back off the monitors, and I gave her 10 minutes to come back and adjust me.  Then I used my call button and told them to come adjust me - it was super painful!  Also it was noon and I was cranky about no real meal yet in addition to the pain.

We were cleared and released!  The MFM at the hospital (one that is in the practice, but not the same as the one above) was wonderful and said she didn't think there was any infection.  She also pointed out that both B and C would have elevated heart rates since they share the placenta. 

So barring anything happening (water breaking, regular contractions): we are set for a scheduled C-section next week!  I am not thinking about it, but I have read up on Pinterest for some tips, and asked my sister-in-law for advice since she's had two of them.  At my MFM appointment the doctor spilled the beans that my favorite doctor is scheduled to do the surgery!  She must've switched with someone because the week before she had told me she wasn't going to be available.  I'm so happy because I really appreciate her and love her sense of humor.  Plus she's a great doctor and a straight shooter on issues.  I did ask to have delayed cord clamping on baby C only (it's difficult and dangerous to do all of them), I want to give her an advantage since she is the smaller one.

This might be my last update for a while, or it might not.  I'm not sure what I'll have time to do.  I will admit that I am nervous about meeting my babies.  I find myself looking at pictures of moms with babies and feeling a little jealous when they look alike.  I haven't dwelled a lot on donor egg during this pregnancy, I've been focused on enjoying what I have, but I am nervous about the babies and bonding, etc.  I know they are mine, but I'm scared they won't love me, that I won't love them, and even about telling them (someday) that they aren't genetically mine.  I try to wait to cross bridges, so I haven't written much about this, but it does sometimes haunt me a bit.  Also I worry they will feel almost too 'special', being both triplets and donor egg babies, but I am excited they will have each other to rely on.


  1. My only advice about having a C Section is to make sure you have a pillow to hug on any car rides. Trust me it helps a lot!

  2. I can't believe it is so soon! I had trouble imagining what one would be like outside my belly, so I can't fathom three! I had a C-section, but it was after 22 hours of labor, so I'm a little jealous of your planned one. The first few days might be rough, but you heal in leaps and bounds after that.

    I've followed some donor egg/embryo bloggers due around the same time as me, and I think they may have bonded with their babies even more so than I did with mine. I think bonding has more to do with hormones and such than it does with genetics. I also felt pretty bonded in the hospital but then freaked out at home, so I think the responsibility factor plays a part. And since your responsibility factor will be multiplied by three, it might be a rough beginning. But you will figure it out! And once they start smiling at you, it's hard not to feel bonded- and that has nothing to do with genetics!